What Is a Sensory Room?
A sensory room is a space designed to help an individual with sensory issues learn to regulate their brain’s negative reactions to external stimuli by developing coping skills for these experiences.
How does a sensory room help?
It can provide a place for an individual with special needs to go when a meltdown occurs. But, it’s not just a place for a time-out. While it can be a calm space where they can regain control of their emotions, a sensory room can also provide a low-stress, fun environment for an individual to work through their emotions and reactions to certain stimuli.
While they can’t necessarily take away their brain’s sensitivity to certain stimuli, they can train their brain to overcome its sensitivity and develop coping mechanisms that will serve them well in the world beyond their sensory space.
Sensory Room Benefits and Effectiveness
Sensory Rooms provide a variety of benefits for both children and adults of all ages, such as:
- Increase concentration and focus attention;
- Develop or reactivate senses of hearing, sight, smell, touch and taste;
- Heighten awareness and improve alertness;
- Improve coordination and motor development;
- Promote cognitive development by increased brain function;
- Encourage people to explore their environment;
- Provide security;
- Enjoy themselves;
- Improve and encourage creativity;
- Develop a sense of cause and effect;
- Develop language;
- Promote social interactions;
- Promote mental and physical relaxation- stress levels drop dramatically;
- Calmer and less aggressive behaviour;
- Improve communication and sharing;
- Provide relief and distraction from pain and painful treatments;
What do we have in our Sensory Room?
Double Bubble Bonanza by ROMPA
- 42 unique effects
- Two bubble chambers – the bubbles and colour of each can be controlled independently
- 3 modes of operation-interactive, creative and musical
- With gentle vibration for tactile input.
- Accessible and illuminated pushbuttons to control bubbles and colour
- It can be used with a microphone for a sound to light effect to encourage vocalisation.
Bubbles and colour can be individually controlled in each of the two chambers. The panel is packed with sound effects and music which makes for a truly exciting multi-sensory experience. The stunning effects stimulate, empower and engage. It is perfect for pair work, co-operative play, turn taking and follow-my-lead activities. It can be also used by one person to promote bilateral movement. Encourages choice and control.
Wi-Fi Microphone by ROMPA
- Compatible with Bubble Tube (by ROMPA), light source and wall panels.
You can change the intensity of a colour by making a sound into the microphone, or change its colour altogether. Great for encouraging vocalisation and for encouraging interactivity for those with physical disabilities who cannot access touch-responsive switches.
- The colours and bubbles can be made controllable.
- Compatible with 8 Colour Wirefree Controller, Wi-Fi Microphone and Talking Cube.
Provides visual effects to help calm and relax, or engage and motivate. Have the ability to encourage interaction, attention, visual development and communication skills.
Talking Cube by ROMPA
- Carefully designed to facilitate use for all, including people with fine/gross motor skill difficulties, visual impairment etc.
- The activity can be constantly updated to suit different needs and abilities or to maintain interest and/or pose increased challenges within the same group.
- No PC or programming required.
Promotes inclusivity, choice, control and accessible learning and can be personalised with sound and pictures. It can be easily adapted for a large range of educational, play and therapeutic interventions.
It can be targeted to develop understanding of cause and effect, colour recognition, picture recognition, listening and motor skills, concentration. Encourages social skills, such as turn-talking, sharing, joining in.
Fibre Optic Ice Lamp
- Uses super bright LEDs.
- Soothing light.
- The base contains a collection of transparent crystal-like pieces that refract a pulse of changing light.
Dynamic and visually stunning.
Sensory Colour Changing Eggs
- Each light up egg gently changes between 6 colours.
- Gentle glow effect.
- Great shape and size.
Visually stimulating and calming.
Wall Panel Game – Airplane
- Natural, safe and beautiful.
- Made of solid wood beads and metal device in a sturdy structure.
- Attractive design.
- Designed for anyone aged 3 and up.
- It is an educational toy.
It will promote hours of interactive fun for individual children or small groups of children playing and learning individually and collaboratively. Encourages creativity and hand-eye-co-ordination skills. Encourages the learning of maths in a fun way.
- Easy to clean and use.
- Rubber tops.
- Includes 5 large and 5 small discs and blindfold.
It is a great game to help children focus their concentration ready for learning. Useful as stepping stones for balance and coordination activities. Explore with fingers or toes to match the textures of large discs to their corresponding smaller versions hidden in the bag.
Compatible with interactive panels, Fibre-optics, Bubble tube and Talking Cube.
Ideal for sensory stimulation, colour recognition and developing the understanding of cause and effect.
- Remote control included for on/off and colour changing operations.
It is a sensory resource for enabling the exploration of light and colour, collaborative play and sensory stimulation.
It can be used to enhance literacy, maths and wring skills in fun and playful ways. Kids are naturally drawn to the gentle glow of the light table and will stay there for longer periods of time, which is great for stretching those budding attention spans.
The table will be used for Art Therapy and Play Therapy.
8 Colour Wireless Controller by ROMPA
- 9 large buttons to interactively operate multiple products.
- Colours spoken with reward sound effects.
- Wireless for safety and practicality.
Easy to clean.
- Lightweight but robust.
- Options to download tunes or record voices, phrases and sounds.
- Can be used to control Bubble Tube, interactive panels, Fibre-optics.
It promotes inclusivity, choice, control and accessible learning. It has been designed to facilitate use for all, including people with fine/gross motor skills difficulties, visual impairment etc. It is customisable for personalisation and themed learning use. It is multi-sensory (visual, audible, tactile) featuring colourful, illuminated numbered raised buttons.
- Dimming control
- Built in Wheel Rotator
- Constantly update images using a series of flashes per second.
It is considered as a key component of a multi-sensory environments. It provides soothing and calming experience.
9-Domed Acrylic Mirror Panel
- The convex bulges mirror the image blurred.
Great fun for children exploring themselves and their surroundings in the mirror. Observation and self-awareness.
Infinity Mirror Tunnel Lamp
- Made from new and durable materials.
- Safe to use for all ages.
This device creates an amazing infinity illusion of a tunnel light. It is also a useful and safe educational tool for special needs children.
- Side flaps for observation purposes.
- Darkened play area/tent.
It is normally used as a relaxing and quiet space – ideal for children with special needs. Use with lighted objects for fun and to stimulate visual senses.
- Different sizes, shapes, colours.
- Easy to clean.
Bean bags are relaxing and fun to sit on. They are able to adjust the shape and offer the convenience of children to sit wherever they are.